Junior Secondary Update
Welcome back for Semester 2.
This is an opportune time for students to be reviewing their goals personally and academically for the second half of the year. Focussing on our strengths and identifying one area to improve on is what we work with students on. Perhaps it could be putting in extra effort on draft work or making sure work missed is caught up on. Small things can make a big difference overall if we consistently work on them.
We look forward to welcoming parents to our Optima assemblies to celebrate achievement in Semester One. Parents of students receiving awards will receive an email invitation but all parents are welcome to attend. I was pleased to note that 85% of students in Junior Secondary achieved a C or better in all four Core subjects in Semester One.
- Year 7 Friday 6 August
- Year 8 Tuesday 3 August
- Year 9 Tuesday 10 August
Work Experience Year 9
Year 9 Parents will receive an email in coming weeks outlining the process for work experience in Week 10 of Term 4 for Year 9 students. It is a massive undertaking to arrange this for our students but we believe it is an amazing growth opportunity for the students and is timed well with their entry into Senior Secondary.
Year 9 Term 3 School Based Health Nurse Presentations
In Term 3 our Year 9 students will have two external presentations from Queensland Health School Based Youth Health Nurses focussing on Healthy Relationships and Consent.
Within the Australian HPE curriculum key elaborations include:
- analysing how societal norms, stereotypes and expectations influence the way young people think about their bodies, abilities, gender, sexuality, sexual health
- practising skills to deal with challenging or unsafe situations, such as refusal skills, communicating choices, expressing opinions and initiating contingency plans
- exploring external influences on sexuality and sexual health behaviours, and recognising the impact that decisions and actions can have on own and others’ health and wellbeing
- investigating the characteristics of positive, respectful relationships and the rights and ethical responsibilities of individuals in relationships
- evaluate the influence of respect, empathy, power and consent on establishing and maintaining respectful relationships
Presentations will be in either HPE or Humanities lessons during Week 4 and 9. PBC teaching staff will be present during the class presentations.